Friday, November 12, 2010

Love~Hate

If you believe that there is balance in the world then you have to believe that all opposite forces on this earth need to come from the same source; so too with love and hate. The two are intrinsically linked. Hate is actually an expression of love. Meaning: How deeply someone can hate another can only run as deeply as he loves them. (In the case of hating someone who harmed a person that you love, you can hate them only as much as you love the victim.)

Love and Hate are equally passionate emotions and how can you be passionate about something you couldn't care less about?

I pretty much have an interest in all things and tend to be a passionate person by nature, but one thing I have never had much interest in is cars.

Some people are obsessed with them, they know every make and model, how much each car costs and all its features and highlights…. I wouldn’t know a Jeep from a Ferrari.

As hard as you push me, I probably won’t end up in a passionately fought argument over a car with you. I couldn’t care less. If you say the car is a Ferrari, then I trust you. And if you’re wrong- I really couldn’t be bothered. ‘Whatever, say what you want about my car- tell me it’s a piece of crap for all I care, It won’t hurt me.’ It can’t hurt me- I don’t care enough to put my heart on it.

A real car lover, is going to rally back at you with every conceivable defense for the car in question. They will rant and rave and even bet money that they are right.

Not me… Because I don’t have enough positive passion to generate negative passion.


...because I don’t love enough to hate.

Because something I don't care about, can’t hurt me.

If I really don’t care even a little about impressing someone- if I don’t put my heart on them at all, I couldn’t care less what they think of me. There is nothing they can say that will hurt me.

They can say the meanest , most terrible thing, they can go against everything I believe in… and I may only defend as strongly as I care about the subject in question.

A small child has an enemy in class… why does he not like the other kid? Not because he simply hates the other… but because children naturally attempt to bond with the people around them, especially other children. So when this child tries to bond with his classmate but is met with obstinacy and rudeness… his emotions now transfer from Love= longing- wanting- hoping, to hate= frustration- pain- not understanding.

So too, people take for granted how much they are loved by others. Until a person hurts someone he loves and sees the pain flash across their eyes, he doesn’t recognize or appreciate how much that person must have loved him… trusted him, counted on him, expected from him.

You can’t be betrayed by someone you never trusted. And it would be stupid to trust someone who we know will betray us. Unfortunately, as humans, we are prone to doing just that.

This is why the deepest wound, the worst pain we could experience, is one inflicted by the ones closest to us… By the people we love.

These gashes run so deep that we sometimes can’t move on. People can die inside because of the trauma of pain they experience from a loved one. If a child who is abused by his parent had no affection for the abuser- or should we say trust even… expectations per say- then he is not going to have any lasting trauma from it. He will not lose faith and trust in humanity, he will not stop loving and reaching out to other people.

Only the child who loves the abuser and keeps hoping that somehow he will be able to win their love and affection, will be forever traumatized by the betrayal, disappointment, and pain.

And isn’t it the worst thing to find out that for the rest of your life, you can hate your ex-best friend for betraying your trust, more than you ever hated the suicide bomber responsible for the deaths of hundreds of innocent men women and children?

It’s pretty heavy… it makes you recognize the responsibility you are entrusted with in every relationship.

So, Keep your friends close- they could become your worst enemies.

4 comments:

  1. the difference btwn love and hate is a very fine line

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insightful, Esdee. To go a step further, I think one should try to create a life in which love is the only emotion they have. When you hate you should forgive, because hating hurts only you, no one else. Letting go and forgiving frees you. Not doing that is effectively hating (and hurting) yourself.
    There are only two emotions from which all other stem, and they are love and fear. All positive emotions are connected to love. All negative ones are connected to fear. Including hate.
    Living deliberately, that is, "you happen to life instead of letting life happen to you" means you create the life you want, and creating a life filled with love --people you love, things you love, activities you love, places you love--and cutting ties with the rest, no matter how painful--is the key to a peaceful, fulfilled life. Easier said than done, for sure, but certainly something to strive for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually heard something interesting recently. Said that love and hate are actually on the same side of the spectrum and the opposite is apathy. Because love and hate are both extreme expressions of emotion and the opposite of that is to not have any emotions.... just thought that was a cool point.

    ReplyDelete