Monday, January 18, 2010

On Feeling Alone

I wrote this poem at a time when I felt completely confused and frustrated. I was racking my brain for someone I could turn to- someone who would completely understand me.

It dawned on me, then, that nobody in the world has the exact genetic makeup, is living the exact day to day life, and is coming from the exact same background as me.

Therefore nobody can ever completely understand who I am, why I do the things I do, and what is going on in my head at any given time.

I guess it's the same for everyone else in this world. Because there is no one person on this earth who is living the exact same life as anyone else.

So this is for everyone who has ever known the feeling of being surrounded by people and yet completely alone.

Exactly Like Me

Nobody knows the way I feel,
What's in my heart- beyond its seal.

You'll never know the frustration within,
That burns me alive- not even my kin.

One can't unlock what's in my soul.
I can tell you, but still, you won't know.

I hate myself for which I speak,
A solution to this is what I seek.

Nobody holds the key to me,
So you'll never know the emotions that be.

That fester, and churn, and grown, and yearn
To get rid of them all, I wish to learn.

Why is it, there is no one, exactly as I am?
With whom I can speak, who will understand?

But I know that there will never be,
Someone who is... exactly like me.

Esdee Kay

4 comments:

  1. Everyone feels like this at one point or another in their life. Its written in a way that people say- " thats how i feel" in which case then there is someone who understands (third to last line- the writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its true that the poem is written in a way that most people can relate to the feeling of being alone.
    The point is that we are never alone in our feelings of loneliness- but rather alone in our own minds and personal internal struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. I get what you're saying that nobody will ever understand you even if you explain it to them and stuff but I still think there are a select group of people who will understand you perfectly without you having to say anything to them at all. The ones that don't need you explain how you're feeling because to them it's clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is for sure true. On the other hand, nobody can see your struggle through your eyes. Because even if a somebody tells you that they understand and give you great advise and show you unconditional love... if you are not open to hear it, you just won't. So in that respect although some or many people can understand a person's struggle, at the end of the day each person must carry their own burden. And they have to learn to work through it and come to peace with who they are in their heart, in order to accept the good will and understanding of others.

    ReplyDelete